Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 1/2 pound of elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons and 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon powdered mustard
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 large egg
- 12 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- chopped onion to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Cook macaroni in large pot to al dente
- In a separate pan, melt the butter on low heat. Whisk in the flour and mustard and keep it moving for about 5 minutes, making sure the mixture is free of lumps. Add milk, onion, bay leaf, and paprika. Simmer for 10 minutes and remove bay leaf.
- Temper in the egg to the mixture. Add 3/4 of the cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- add the macaroni and sauce mixture into a 2 quart casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese.
- melt the 1 tablespoon butter in a sauté pan and toss in the bread crumbs to coat. sprinkle the bread crumbs on top of the macaroni.
- Bake for 30 minutes – rest for 5 minutes before serving